Today the Supreme People’s Court established two new offices, under the case-filing section.立案庭. The new sub-sections are respectively known as “case-filing section no. 1” 立案一庭 and “case filing section no. 2” 立案二庭. Here’s some basic info I’ve compiled from available news reports.
Section no. 1
- Receiving claims of unfair trials (shensu) and petitions
- Examining cases filed for retrial
- Receiving and filing all the other cases falling under SPC jurisdiction
Section no. 2
Chair: Zheng Xuelin 郑学林
Deputy chair: Cao Wei 曹巍
- Receiving cases in which a conflict of jurisdiction is involved
- Receiving appeals and retrial requests against legally effective judgements 生效裁判 made by lower-level courts
- Handling allegedly wrongful judgements
- Managing legal aid
- Drafting judicial interpretations
According to SPC deputy president Su Zelin and Zhou Zemin, chair of the SPC political department, the additions of these new sections should allow a more efficient response to petitions, and streamline court’s workload.