In the rest of this post therefore I will attempt to read the first chapter of the 2015 Regulations against its 1997 and 2004 versions.
Article 1The present Regulations have been enacted on the basis of the Statute of the Chinese Communist Party, to safeguard the Party statute, make Party discipline stern, purify Party organizations, protect the democratic rights of Party members, educate Party members in the respect of discipline and in the observance of the law, safeguard the unity of the Party, guarantee the implementation of the Party’s basic line, its direction, policies, resolutions and laws and regulations of the State.
The present Regulations take Marxism-Leninism, Mao Zedong Thought, Deng Xiaoping theory, the important thought of the Three Represents, the scientific outlook on development as their guide, and deepen the implementation of the spirit of the series of important speeches of General Secretary Xi Jinping, and carry out the strategic deployment of comprehensively strictly ruling the Party.
The Party Statute is the most basic intra-party regulation, it is the established standard whereby the Party governs the Party. Party discipline is the rule of conduct that must be respected by Party organizations at every level and by the entire body of Party members. Party organizations and Party members must voluntarily abide by the Party statute, strictly implement and safeguard Party discipline, voluntarily accept the constraints posed by Party discipline, and abide by the laws and regulations of the State in an exemplary way.
The Party’s work of disciplinary punishment shall uphold the following principles:
(1) the Party must govern the Party, and the Party must be strictly governed. Strengthen the education, management and supervision of Party organizations at every level and of the entire body of Party members; place discipline at the first place; pay attention to catching them at an early stage and catch the small ones.
(2) All are equal before Party discipline. Severity must be used on Party organizations and Party members who contravene Party discipline, discipline shall be enforced fairly; the Party does not allow Party organizations and Party members not to accept the constraints posed by Party discipline.
(3) Seek truth from facts. Where a Party organization or a Party member keeps a conduct that contravenes Party discipline, the nature of their violation of discipline shall be determined in accordance with the facts as the basis, and the Party Constitution and other intra-Party regulations and the State law and regulations as the criterion, by distinguishing between different circumstances, and giving an appropriate punishment.
(4) Democratic centralism. Party discipline punishment shall be decided after a collective discussion by the Party organization, according to statutory procedure. Individuals and a minority (of Party members) are not allowed to arbitrarily make and approve decisions. Lower-level Party organizations must enforce the decision that higher-level Party organizations have made on Party organizations or Party members who have contravened discipline.
(5) Learn from past mistakes to avoid future ones, cure the sickness to save the patient. Combining punishment and education shall be practiced in dealing with Party organizations and Party members who have contravened discipline, to achieve “tempering leniency and severity”.